Health Insurance 101

Reading Time: 3 minutes

In Canada, health care can be very expensive. As an international student studying at the University of Toronto Mississauga, you have access to health plans and services to support your health and wellbeing. Learn about the University Health Insurance Plan now because you never know when you’ll need it!

What is UHIP? And who gets it?

The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for international fee-paying students to ensure you have basic health coverage while studying in Ontario. As an international or exchange student, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP and the coverage charge will be listed on your ACORN account (your student account). In other words, as international students are not eligible for OHIP, they are enrolled in UHIP to receive equivalent basic health coverage.

TIP: Cut out a copy of your UHIP card and keep it with you at all times. Save an electronic copy of the card in a secure location so you can access it as needed.

Where do I get my UHIP card?

Register online to get your UHIP coverage card!

TIP: If you are a first year student, you can pick up your UHIP card from the IEC in Davis 2071 starting on August 28, 2017.

What does UHIP cover?

UHIP coverage includes, but is not limited to, hospital and physician services, surgery, ambulance, counseling, pregnancy related health care. Click here for a complete list of services and treatments covered.

What is NOT covered by UHIP?

Services not covered by UHIP include, but are not limited to, prescription drugs, dental care services, eyeglasses, chiropractic services. Click here for a list of medical services not covered by UHIP.

TIP: Your Student Union likely offers extended health insurance that may cover prescription drugs, dental care services, eyeglasses, travel insurance etc. Make sure to review their policies and get your extended health insurance card from them. See below for more details.

How does UHIP work?

Upon visiting a healthcare provider, you will be required to present your UHIP card. Be sure to carry your UHIP card with you at all times, as you never know when you will need it!

If visiting a preferred provider (a provider that accepts UHIP), the provider will record your information and invoice Sun Life (the health insurance provider) directly.

If you are not visiting a preferred provider, you may have to pay out of pocket for your medical expenses. You will then have to submit your expenses and a claim form to Sun Life for reimbursement.

TIP: To guarantee coverage it is important to visit a preferred provider. Visit Student Health Network to locate a clinic or health-care provider near you.

Additional & extended coverage

UHIP coverage may also be extended to your eligible dependent family members such as a spouse, common-law partner and/or children.

UHIP provides minimal out-of-country coverage which is not sufficient to cover medical expenses when travelling outside of Canada. If you are traveling outside of Canada, you will need to purchase private travel insurance to maintain your coverage.

All students are covered by a Desjardins Financial supplementary health and dental insurance plan to help cover medical expenses such as prescription drugs and vision care that are not covered by OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) or by UHIP. You automatically receive this medical and dental insurance coverage through your corresponding Student Union (UTMSU for undergraduate students, UTGSU for graduate students, etc.) for the duration of your studies (unless you opt-out from it at the beginning of the year).

Further questions?

Visit the International Education Centre (IEC) in DV2071, give us a call at 905-569-4716 Monday to Friday from 10 am to 4 pm, check out the Health Insurance section on our website or email us at

For more information visit the Centre for International Experience website and the UHIP website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *